First day in the office
So today was the first day at the office.
I'd love to post pictures of the indoors, but the paper I signed on Friday told me not to take any pictures from the inside of the office without explicit permission. I didn't bother asking yet, but I'll do my best to describe it!
The office is an open one, and it's big. In one floor (4 in total), there are about 10 lines of tables, and on each line about 10-15 people. Each division sits next to each other, mostly in same lines. The chiefs of the divisions sit at the end of the lines with their own tables, away from the line, facing down it. Though I'm not sure if were talking division chiefs here, or something else. I don't really know that much about the company structure anyway. Just that the people working on same things sit together, like I sit with my colleagues.
The day went smoothly enough, thought I must say that these first days in a job are surely the dullest. All of the day was spent on troubleshooting the PC I was given as a temporary until my personal one would arrive, listening to a Japanese weekly meeting, and my colleague painstakingly translating a few presentations for me. Wednesday, I maybe get to do something real.
The team I was made part of is actually only three people, including me, with a possible fourth member joining next month. The details of the project are still muddy to me, but there will be a big meeting tomorrow with the customer, where all should become clear. With four hours allocated to the meeting, I sure hope so.
After the day, my colleague who was taking care of me for the day, Kazuma, took me out for food and drinks in an Izakaya with the other member of our team, our manager Okuda-san, and two other from our departement. There's a whole another post waiting to be written about food, which I'm sure I'll get to later on.
Then, around 8pm, I head home with the Shinkansen, and bike back from the station with the bike my host family kindly lent to me. It was funny meeting Yu, joyfully screaming and sitting down at the table with me for evening snack/dessert.
Tomorrow is another day, a long day. I was told there will be after works with the customer's group after the meeting, so I might be back home as late as 10. Then again, it's already 11:30pm, so maybe I'll manage.
To bed, good night!
-Ilmari
I'd love to post pictures of the indoors, but the paper I signed on Friday told me not to take any pictures from the inside of the office without explicit permission. I didn't bother asking yet, but I'll do my best to describe it!
The office is an open one, and it's big. In one floor (4 in total), there are about 10 lines of tables, and on each line about 10-15 people. Each division sits next to each other, mostly in same lines. The chiefs of the divisions sit at the end of the lines with their own tables, away from the line, facing down it. Though I'm not sure if were talking division chiefs here, or something else. I don't really know that much about the company structure anyway. Just that the people working on same things sit together, like I sit with my colleagues.
The day went smoothly enough, thought I must say that these first days in a job are surely the dullest. All of the day was spent on troubleshooting the PC I was given as a temporary until my personal one would arrive, listening to a Japanese weekly meeting, and my colleague painstakingly translating a few presentations for me. Wednesday, I maybe get to do something real.
The team I was made part of is actually only three people, including me, with a possible fourth member joining next month. The details of the project are still muddy to me, but there will be a big meeting tomorrow with the customer, where all should become clear. With four hours allocated to the meeting, I sure hope so.
After the day, my colleague who was taking care of me for the day, Kazuma, took me out for food and drinks in an Izakaya with the other member of our team, our manager Okuda-san, and two other from our departement. There's a whole another post waiting to be written about food, which I'm sure I'll get to later on.
Then, around 8pm, I head home with the Shinkansen, and bike back from the station with the bike my host family kindly lent to me. It was funny meeting Yu, joyfully screaming and sitting down at the table with me for evening snack/dessert.
Tomorrow is another day, a long day. I was told there will be after works with the customer's group after the meeting, so I might be back home as late as 10. Then again, it's already 11:30pm, so maybe I'll manage.
To bed, good night!
-Ilmari
Wannabe-Salaryman Ilmari

Comments
Post a Comment